I’m back after an unplanned, 5-month hiatus!! Yay!
Basically…finishing my thesis was tougher than intended and as a result, I lost my voice for a short while. Or, at least my interest in sharing what I had to say with others. Mostly because I started thinking, ‘why would/should anyone give a shit about me and what I have to say?’
To be honest…even while writing this blog post, there’s still a small part of me that feels this way, but luckily, the mindful Molly (TM!!) can recognize that it’s just a negative thought. And as a result, that thought has less emotional power!
I love writing. Mostly because I think of it as another form of talking (to myself or to my imaginary reader) and I REALLY love talking. And singing for that matter.
So, fuck that whiny voice inside my head telling me to stop being me!
I’m going to aim to write one blog a week, on average, indefinitely. If that changes, I will let y’all know!
If you have any constructive criticism and/or positive feedback on what I’ve written so far, get in touch! If you have any suggestions for future blog post/collaborations, that’s cool too!
Love you all,
PS I’m moving back to Brighton on Friday for a few months :0) YAY!
As people who know me are already aware, I try to be honest about my mental health issues:
- I have generalized anxiety
- I had depression (but still have shortish episodes occasionally)
- I used to self-harm (use sharp objects to scratch my forearm) but have stopped now. Instead, I have mild anger issues that I’m working on.
- I’m on meds (you can ask if you wanna know which ones)
- I see a certified therapist, privately, on a weekly/sometimes bi-weekly basis.
- I occasionally see a private psychiatrist (like I’M “crazy” enough to get on the NHS waiting list! looool (behind the laughter, I’m crying)!)
- I avoid difficult topics by making jokes
- I yoga and sing to feel better (that’s probably all “socially acceptable,” but since we’re sharing…)
Thusly, I’m fine admitting that I’m not perfect. No one I know is perfect. A few people I know THINK they are perfect (or at least act that way towards me).
If you or someone you know is dealing with tenuous mental health (we probably all are/will at some point in our life). Know:
- You’ll be fiiiiine :0) as long as you don’t avoid what’s happening. Think “I’m Not Afraid of Anything“…yea, she’s afraid of fucking EVERYTHING!
- Slow down. Don’t be afraid to find YOUR OWN rhythm
- Cut people out who don’t genuinely care about you
- Maybe…take a break from social media? If you think you may be addicted. Also, try taking a break from anything else you’re addicted to.
- Try to really think, deep down about what may be negatively impacting your life. This can be…your job, your routine, your close relationships, your addictions, politics, capitalism, more generally.
- Get. a. CERTIFIED. therapist. Do NOT just rely on family. or. friends. or. alcohol. That’s fucking bullshit if you’re really struggling. You do not need to feel fucking ashamed for seeing a therapist. Start with the NHS if you’re in the UK. Maybe pay £15-40/hr if you have the money (if you can go to the pub every week, you have the fucking money).
- Go back to what you love.
Feel free to share you own struggles in the comments section if you think it will help :0)